- Acquire a few pot saucers of the plastic type with low edges.
- Place around your garden in the evening with the saucers buried in the soil up to their outer lip or alternately mound the mulch up around the saucer.
- Fill partly with the cheapest but highest alcohol content beer you can find, 6% is ok, 8% is good 12% might be a bit much.
- Check saucers the next day.
- Harvest a cup of leaves.
- Add to a bucket containing 1 quart of water (per cup of leaves).
- Make sure the bucket has a lid and cover the bucket to avoid contamination.
- Allow the leaves and water to sit undisturbed for at least a week.
- Check bucket regularly until water has turned black or very dark brown.
- Strain out the leaves and add to compost.
- Resulting fluid in bucket is the high potency fertilizer.
- Bring the three cups of water to a near-boil, but do not boil.
- Put dried flowers in a muslin bag, cheese cloth or a straining bag.
- Place the bag in with the heated water and allow steeping until water is cool.
- Remove bag and empty flowers into the compost.
- If you desire a pesticide that sticks more add 1 teaspoon of dye and scent free soap or glycerin or pure mineral oil per cup of fluid.
- Store resulting pesticide in a dark bottle away from extreme temperatures and away from direct sunlight.
- Your pesticide is ready to use once cool and transferred to a spray bottle. If you added a sticking agent make sure to shake the mixture in the spray bottle before using.
- Put the resulting mixture in a dark colored bottle and store away from extremes in temperature and direct sunlight, you can transfer what you need to a spray bottle when you need it.
- As a final note, rainy periods can cause a dilution of the concentration of pyrethrum in the plant; the best time to harvest blooms is during dry hot periods.
- Free Plant giveaway, curtesy of the FTCC horticulture department.
- A rare copy of Desert Harvest for sale.
- Our own Carolina Gold Compost Products.
- The yearly Skye Project Horticultural surplus sale.
3x Eggplant, Striped Togo
6x Okra 'Emerald'
3x Pepper, Sangria
5x Desert Privet
6x Eggplant, Black Beauty
3x Eggplant, Hansel
4x Lemon Bee Balm/ Bergamot
4x Okra, Clemson Spineless
4x Okra, Red Burgundy
3x Pepper, Rainbow Bell Mix
4x Pepper, Tobago Seasoning
13x Star Tickseed
2x Strawberry Spinach
1x Swiss cheese Plant
5x Vietnamese Coriander/Cilantro